Beaumaris Band Members performing Xmas Carols outside the Parish Hall last night 5.12.2020 prior to switching on the first ever Village Christmas Tree Lights that was attended by former village resident and current Welsh Assembly Minister for Anglesey, Rhun ap Iorwerth.
Photograph of Llandegfan from across the Menai Straits
Photograph of the village centre at Llansadwrn.
Photograph of Hen Bentref Llandegfan taken from Lon Plas
Photograph of Cwm Cadnant looking down towards Menai Bridge taken along Lon Plas.
Croeso / Welcome Cyngor Cymuned CwmCadnant Community Council
In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson’s Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llandegfan like this:
LLANDEGFAN, a village and a parish in the district of Bangor and county of Anglesey. The village stands on the Menai Straits, near the ferry station, 2 miles SW of Beaumaris, and 3 NE of Menai Bridge r. station. The parish comprises 2,232 acres of land, and 528 of water; and includes a small uninhabited portion of Beaumaris borough. Real property, £3,564. Pop., 900. Houses, 205.”
In the 150 years since this was written Llandegfan has grown to a small community with it’s own Community Council, Cwm Cadnant, that incorporates its neighbouring village, Llansadwrn, details of which can be found on this web site.
History and description
The original village, Hen Llandegfan or Hen Landegfan, was on the ancient way from the crossing of the Menai Strait at Menai Bridge via Pentraeth to Beaumaris. St Tegfan’s Church, the mother church of Beaumaris, has been greatly restored.
Llandegfan has expanded greatly in recent decades and is continuing to expand in the 21st century, notably in the extension to the Mill Lodge estate and along Lon Ganol. Almost all of this expansion is centred on the modern village centre to the south and east of the old windmill. The village is expanding for various reasons, including its proximity to Bangor, where many of the residents of Llandegfan work, and to the A55, and the views from the village over to the mountains of Snowdonia.
On the outskirts of the village is Bryn Mel Manor, built in 1899 as a summer house for the owners of the White Star Line and standing in about 10 acres (4 ha) of wood and parkland. After the death of the last family owner, the building was derelict for many years, before being converted into a nursing home. Financial constraints meant much of the original land was sold, and in the latter years the home struggled to stay open. In July 2011 it was announced that the home was to close and the building redeveloped into luxury flats and apartments. Despite its modern history, the external features of the building have changed little but many of the internal features have been lost.
Llandegfan has a senior football team playing in the Anglesey League who play their home matches at Parc Eurfryn.
A rare European White Elm Ulmus laevis grows near the village.
The village is in two parts: the original village, now called Hen Llandegfan, around the chapel (Capel Barachia). The other, much larger, part grew to the south of the old village and next to the A545. In 2003 a new estate, Gwel y Llan, was built in the village; this is the most recent development there. There is a primary school with over 120 children. The population of the village in 2010 was 927.
The Parish Hall in the village, donated by the Rathbone family in 1904 is a Grade 2 listed building and is the central hub. It is used for several meetings, charity events, the local Eisteddfod and the village has it own Youth club. It has undergone a massive structural change over the last 15 years with the assistance of a Community Grant via the National Assembly. Outside is a playground and again the Community Council has invested in purchasing new equipment and can boast one of the best play areas on the Island. Also in close proximity is evidence of an old working mill.
LLANSADWRN is a small village in the community of Cwm Cadnant in the South-East of Anglesey. It lies between Menai Bridge, Pentraeth and Beaumaris. It is named after the church, founded in the 6th century by Saint Saturninus, who together with his wife, is commemorated by an early Christian monument. St Sadwrn’s Church is a Grade II*-listed building.
The village was the birthplace of Wyn Roberts, Baron Roberts of Conwy who was a notable Conservative front-bencher for many years.
Close to the village was the site of the excavations that revealed the existence of Bryn Eryr Iron Age farmstead.
In 2007 the Community Council purchased Llansadwrn play area from the County Council and funds have been invested into improving this much needed facility for the village residents.
During the last decade (2015), the village saw the demolition of the old school in Llansadwrn and this has been replaced by the construction of four new dwellings now known as, Maes yr Ysgol.